Who We Are
Women’s Shelter, Saakaate House is a shelter for women and their children who are experiencing violence in their lives and seek safety. Confidential 24-hour support and safety are offered by staff working from a feminist perspective in an environment in which women can make informed decisions. We are committed to changing societal conditions and attitudes which perpetuate violence and abuse against women.
Beliefs & Aims
The following beliefs and aims shall inform and guide all aspects of the agency’s functioning.
We believe that:
- We are part of the global community of women.
- When working for equality for women, we are working for equality for all.
- All persons have the right to lives free from the presence and threat of violence.
- All persons have the right to safe, affordable housing.
- Violence against women and children is a criminal offense which crosses all economic, social, religious, and cultural boundaries. Individual perpetrators of such violence must be held accountable for their actions, regardless of the location of the violence, the identity of the offender, or the duration of the relationship between victim and abuser. Legal institutions must actively contribute to the elimination of violence against women and children.
- Violence against women is a socio-political issue. All persons living within our local, national, and international communities share responsibility for ending this violence.
- Women have the right and ability to be in control of their lives and to make independent choices and decisions about their lives. These choices become increasingly more informed as women demand and gain access to information, education, and resources which have traditionally been denied to them. We have a responsibility to respect the informed choices made by women.
- Any decision taken by an abused woman to access anti-violence and shelter services should be made on a voluntary basis and essential services for abused women and their children should be provided free of charge.
- Witnessing violence against women and/or experiencing violence as a child endangers the physical and emotional well being of children and serves to perpetuate inter-generational violence. Children who witness or experience violence have the right to receive the specialized support and services they need to address their unique needs and deal with their life situation.
- We have a responsibility to access and use financial and human resources that reflect and are compatible with the philosophy, Mission Statement, and Beliefs and Aims of the Corporation.
In consideration and compliance with these beliefs, we aim to:
- Provide services to women who have experienced violence and who reside in and around Kenora, Keewatin, Jaffray Melick, surrounding trade area, and outlying First Nations communities in a consistent, compassion, supportive, and respectful manner with priority attention to safety and confidentiality.
- Contribute to the creation of new options and choices for women and their children by advocating for necessary and effective change within government priorities, legal institutions, and social and medical services.
- To assist women in their efforts to explore available options in a manner which promotes and supports personal empowerment, independence, and autonomy.
- Recognize and respond to the unique and special needs of children who have witnessed violence against women.
- Ensure that our properties and services are physically, geographically, linguistically, culturally, and financially accessible to women and their children.
- Work cooperatively; share information, resources, and expertise; establish effective partnerships; and support joint initiatives with other agencies and organizations which accept and respect the philosophy, Mission Statement and Beliefs and Aims of Women’s Shelter Saakaate House.
- Educate the public about violence against women and children and contribute in meaningful and effective ways to the prevention and eradication of violence against women.
- Provide meaningful opportunities for individuals and groups to support the philosophy, mandate, and values of Women’s Shelter through volunteer activities, financial contributions, and/or in kind donations.