Join Our Team
Relief Resident Counsellor
The Relief Resident Counsellors are responsible for providing frontline crisis interventions, supportive counseling, and referral services to women, either in person or by telephone, in keeping with the philosophy, policies and procedures of the organizations. A relief resident counselor is responsible for providing shelter and crisis line services on a 12 hour shift basis. To work in a team setting as front line worker whose duties would include: crisis line, admissions, discharges, assessments, referrals, child care assistance, support, peer counseling, facilitating activities in a safe residential setting, minor housekeeping tasks, training staff and students occasionally and respecting strict confidentiality. Training/Orientation will be provided. On call/casual position.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Post Secondary education in relevant field or equivalent education and practical experience, Social Services Diploma preferred.
- Thorough understanding of women’s issues; the dynamics and effects of violence against women, effect on children witnessing and/or experiencing violence against women.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to working within a feminist perspective
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to anti-racism/anti-oppressions principles
- Proven conflict resolution skills with co-workers and clients
- Ability to role model positive, appropriate parenting and child care approaches
- Understanding of child protection risk assessment as it pertains to children in shelter
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and cooperatively as part of a support team
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Effective use of healthy boundaries
- Computer literacy abilities
- Understanding and appreciations of Aboriginal cultural values and the ability to develop culturally appropriate approaches and interventions.
- Ability to access wide range of resources from both aboriginal and non-native communities on behalf of the clients.
- 5 years shelter front line experience
Starting wage $25.26/hour as per Union Agreement
Please forward your resume and cover letter to:
Chrysti Savage, Program Manager
Women’s Shelter, Saakaate House Inc.
By email: [email protected]